Sunday, December 3, 2006

Post Surgery- 5th day

We've been home now for four days and it almost seems as though life is back to normal. Elias is completely off of his prescribed pain medication and is only taking ibuprofen now every few hours. Everyone told us that he would heal much faster than we expected, but that was hard to imagine when we were in the midst of the tough hours in the hospital. But it really is true! His leg is still pretty swollen but even that is getting better. As soon as the incision heals (10 days or so) then Chase will put a "shrinker" or compression sleeve on Elias' leg. This will help contain the natural atrophy that occurs, reduce the swelling, and get the limb ready for a prosthetic leg. (I have to insert here that this is all new terms and vocab for me. I try hard to get it right because Chase makes sure to correct me anytime I use the wrong lingo.) :-)

Elias still doesn't move around quite like he used to. The day after we got home, he would try to get up on all fours but then start crying pretty hard- a mixture of pain and frustration. Now though he either scoots on his stomach or slides along the hardwood floors on his knees. However, he's pretty much content to just stay in one place and play with the toys around him. Whenever he's hurting, he lets us know by saying "stuck", "I sorry", or "gentle." I was bracing myself for very difficult days of recovery, but I have to say that it's quite easy to have such a sedentary, compliant child for a few days.

We're supposed to change his bandages every couple of days. I generally consider myself to have a pretty strong stomach when it comes to stuff like this, but NOT when it's my own son! I thought I was either going to vomit or pass out last time we changed it. The incision is covered with strips so it's not even exposed. I'm just a real wimp I guess and a horrible assistant to Chase. I might have to enlist Nani to take my spot next time.

Well, off to bed. Elias has been waking up a few times during the night and I'm on "night duty". (Chase will take the early a.m. shift).

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meagan,
Thanks for the update! Sounds like y'all are doing well. I'm sure you are a wonderful assistant but I don't blame you for being skeeved out! We are getting snow here in RI today and so I'm guessing you are, too. Maybe that will brighten Elias' day!!! Is there snow in Ethiopia? :) Take care!
Karen and Jonathan Teoli

Anonymous said...

Meagan,
It has been great reading all of yours and Chase's updates, and I am overjoyed at how God's hand has been resting on Elias and the two of you to bring you through this time together. Wish I could be there to visit you all.

Love,
Sarah Theule

Michael & Amy Miller said...

Meagan and Chase,
I have so enjoyed reading the posts - thanks for sharing so much with us. I have been praying for you and Elias daily, and am so happy to see God's faithfulness to him and to you through it all. What a story!!! Can't wait to meet that brave little kid soon!
Love, Amy & Michael